the groundsman

Thursday, August 04, 2005

In My Father's Den

9/10. Saw this last Saturday up in Bern at the Splendid. So far, it's my favorite English-language movie of 2005. Unfortunately, right now it looks like it won't be getting a U.S. theatrical release.

4 Comments:

At August 06, 2005 7:15 PM, Blogger Michael van Baker said...

I was *just* listening to various movie-industry folk complain on NPR about the fact that no one's going to see movies this year, too...

 
At August 06, 2005 10:40 PM, Blogger Ian said...

It's a type of movie that I'm prone to enjoy: a dissection of a family and its secrets that's played like a murder mystery.

If you've seen Lantana, then you'll know exactly the type of movie I'm talking about.

 
At August 07, 2005 6:34 AM, Blogger Michael van Baker said...

Oh, I've seen Lantana! I've seen it! What's that other movie with Marisa Tomei...In the Bedroom. Simular, n'est-ce pas? I haven't seen that one, so I'm not sure.

 
At August 07, 2005 9:47 AM, Blogger Ian said...

Yes, similar to In the Bedroom (which you should see; put it on your list).

It's part of a whole thriller subgenre, where text and subtext get flipped around. The characters and their interactions get placed front and center, while the crime or threat of violence informs what is happening in the movie emotionally.

Another example that also starts with "In" is Nicholas Ray's masterpiece In a Lonely Place, which pretends to be a film noir but is really about the doomed love affair between Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home